- Papathomas, T.V., Nguyen, J., Torres, E. “Do visual illusions influence visuomotor behavior? - Lessons from 3-D illusions,” Jagiellonian-Rutgers Conference, Krakow, Poland, June 2014.
- Papathomas, T.V., “Masks and reverspectives: ambiguity in depth inversion illusions,” Conference on Pictorial Illusions, School of Advanced Study, University of London, May 23-24, 2013.
- Papathomas, T.V., “Depth-inverting illusions,” Barn Conference on Illusions and Delusions, Leindroden, Germany, August 23-24, 2013.
- Ash, J. T., Hughes, J., Papathomas, T.V., (2012) “Role of the cognitive influence of familiarity in processing kinetic-depth-effect signals,” Proceedings of the IEEE Annual Northeast Bioengineering Conference, pp. 183-184, March 16-18, 2012.
- Ash, J. T., Hughes, J., Papathomas, T.V., (2011) “A Virtual Reality System for Diagnosing and Analyzing the Effectiveness of Treatment Methods for Schizophrenia,” Proceedings of the 2011 Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) Annual Meeting, Hartford, Connecticut, October 12-15, 2011.
- Hughes, J., Ash, J. T., Keane, B.P., Silverstein, S., Papathomas, T.V., (2011) “A system to study 3-D perception under self-motion for diagnosing schizophrenia and assessing treatment results,” Proceedings of the IEEE Annual Northeast Bioengineering Conference, April 2011.
- Shariat, S, Pavlovic, V., Papathomas, T.V., Braun, A., Sinha, P. (2010) “Sparse dictionary methods for EEG signal classification in face perception,” IEEE International Workshop on Machine Learning for Signal Processing (MLSP), August 29 - September 1, 2010 Kittilä, Finland, pp. 331-336.
- Papathomas, T.V., (2009) “Bottom-up and top-down processes in 3-D shape representation - Lessons from 3-D shape illusions,” 2nd International Workshop on Shape Perception in Human and Computer Vision (SPHCV), in Regensburg, Germany, on August 29, 2009.
- Jain, A., Papathomas, T.V., (2009) “Computational Model for Interactions between Auditory and Visual Motion Mechanisms,” Proceedings of the IEEE Annual Northeast Bioengineering Conference, April 2009.
- Jain, A., Papathomas, T.V., Sally, S., (2008). “Selective Spectral Attention in Vision and Audition – Experiments and Models”, Proceedings of the IEEE Annual Northeast Bioengineering Conference, April 2008.
- Hong, J., Papathomas, T.V., Vidnyanszky, Z. (2005) “Quantitative models of visual-auditory interactions,” 31st Annual Northeast Bioengineering Conference, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ.
- Papathomas, T.V., (2005) "Celestial illusions and ancient astronomers - Aristarchus and Eratosthenes,” keynote speech, Proceedings Electronic Imaging, Science and Technology, SPIE vol. 5666, 4-8.
- Papathomas, T.V., and Bono, L. (2005) “Top-down processes in perceiving false depth and motion for faces and scenes," Proceedings Electronic Imaging, Science and Technology, SPIE vol. 5666, 49-52.
- Papathomas, T.V., (2001) “Perceiving three-dimensional objects during egomotion,” invited talk at the International Conference on Image Processing, vol, 2, ICIP-2001, Thessalonica, Greece, 2001.
- Peker, K.A., Divakaran, A., and Papathomas, T.V., (2001) “Automatic measurement of intensity of motion activity of video segments,” IS&T/SPIE Symposium on Electronic Imaging: Science and Technology, Conference on Human Vision and Electronic Imaging V, California, 2001.
- Papathomas T.V., (2000) “See how they turn: False depth and motion in Hughes’s reverspectives” Proceedings of SPIE, Human Vision and Electronic Imaging, vol. 3959, 506-517.
- Papathomas T.V., Conway, T.E., Cox, I.J., Goshn, J., Miller, M.L., Minka, T., and Yianilos, P.N., (1998) "Psychophysical studies of the performance of an image database retrieval system," IS&T/SPIE Symposium on Electronic Imaging: Science and Technology, Conference on Human Vision and Electronic Imaging III, January 24-30, 1998, p. 81, San Jose, CA.
- Cox, I.J., Goshn, J., Miller, M.L., Papathomas, T.V. and Yianilos, P.N., "Hidden annotation in content based image retrieval", IEEE Proceedings of Workshop on Content Based Access of Image and Video Libraries, 76-81, 1997.
- Kashi, R. S., Papathomas T. V. & Gorea, A. “Grouping in Sparse Random-Dot Patterns: Linear and Non-Linear Mechanisms,” Human Vision and Electronic Imaging, IS&T/SPIE Symposium on Electronic Imaging: Science and Technology, Feb 10-12, 1997, 3016, 420-429.
- Papathomas, T.V, "An efficient technique for assessing the sensitivities of first- and second-order motion: Theory, experiments, and applications," invited talk at the 1996 NEC Research Conference, Princeton, New Jersey, June 1996.
- Foran, D., Meer, P. Papathomas, T.V., Marsic, I., Gong, L., Kulikowski, K., Trelstad, R., "Establishing perceptual criteria on image quality in diagnostic telepathology," IEEE Signal Processing Society's 1996 Int’l Conf. on Image Processing, Lausanne, Sept 16-19, 1996.
- Papathomas, T.V., McGowan, J.W., Chubb. C., Gorea, A., "Two neural pathways for Fourier and non-Fourier motion," Proceedings of the IEEE 22nd Annual Northeast Bioengineering Conference, Li, K.-J. & Reisman, S.S., eds., 42-43, March 1996.
- Papathomas, T.V., & Rosenthal, A.S., "Unified computational model for Fourier and non-Fourier motion," Proceedings of the IEEE 22nd Annual Northeast Bioengineering Conference, Li, K.-J. & Reisman, S.S., eds., 44-45, March 1996.
- Papathomas, T.V., "The contribution of color and contrast in vision: psychophysics, modeling, and image processing," invited talk at the IEEE/IS&T Image and Multidimensional Signal Processing Workshop, Belize, March 1996.
- Ramanujan, K.S., Papathomas, T.V, & Gorea, A. "A computational model for texture perception with chromatic and achromatic images", 16th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, Baltimore, Maryland, Nov 3-6, 1994.
- Ramanujan, K.S., Papathomas, T.V, & Gorea, A. "A perceptually based computational model for texture segregation of color images", IEEE International Workshop on Visual Signal Processing and Communications, New Brunswick, New Jersey, Sept. 19-20, 1994.
- Papathomas, T.V. and Malah, D., "Visual experiments for a subjective-based conditional-replenishment image-sequence coder incorporating texture freeze," invited paper, Human Vision, Visual Processing, and Digital Display, Rogowitz, B.E., Allebach, J.P. and Klein, S.A. (eds.), SPIE, Vol. 1666, 227-240, 1992.
- Papathomas, T.V. and Gorea, A., "The role of visual attributes in texture perception," invited paper in Human Vision and Electronic Imaging: Models, Methods, and Applications, Rogowitz, B.E. and Allebach, J.P. (eds.), SPIE, 1249, 395-403, 1990.
- Papathomas, T.V., "Visual perception results applied to scientific visualization problems," invited talk at the 15th Semiannual Seminar on Advances in Computer Graphics, sponsored by the New York Chapters of the IEEE and NCGA, February 22, 1989.
- Schiavone, J.A., Papathomas, T.V. and Julesz, B., "Visualization of meteorological data: a review of computer graphics applications," presented at the 5th International Conference on Interactive Information and Processing Systems for Meteorology, Oceanography and Hydrology of the American Meteorological Society, Anaheim, CA, Jan. 29 - Feb. 3, 1989.
- Papathomas, T.V. and Gorea, A., "A new paradigm for testing human and machine motion perception," invited paper in Human Vision, Visual Processing, and Digital Display, Rogowitz, B.E. (ed.), SPIE, vol. 1077, 285-291, 1989.
- Schiavone, J.A., Papathomas, T.V., Julesz, B., Kreitzberg, C.W. and Perkey, D.J., "Anaglyphic stereo animation of meteorological fields," Proc. Int. Conf. on Interactive Info. and Processing Syst. for Meteorology, Oceanography & Hydrology, 64-71, Jan. 1986.
- Papathomas, T.V., "Average current-controlled switching regulator: Stability and feedforward analysis and simulation," IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conf. Rec., 61-69, 1983.
- Papathomas, T.V., "Microprocessor-based automatic monitoring and control of telecommunications AC reserve energy systems," Hellenic Telecommunications Energy Conference, Athens, Greece, 1983.
- Papathomas, T.V. and Scuderi, R., "Stored-program control of DC power plants," Proc. IEEE Int. Telecom. Energy Conf., 18-23, 1981.
- Papathomas, T.V. & Scuderi, R., "Microcomputer-based DC power plant for energy and alarm administration," Proc. Bell Labs and Western Elec. Microprocessor Symp., 290-291, 1980.
- Papathomas, T.V., "Conservation through microprocessor-based energy management systems," Proceedings of the KRIKOS Conference on Energy Alternatives, 212-220, 1980.
- Papathomas, T.V. & Giacopelli, J., "Digital implementation and simulation of an average current-controlled switching regulator," IEEE Power Elec. Specialists Conf. Rec., 155-161, 1979.
- Papathomas, T.V., Wing, O. and Huang, J., "SCAPPOZ: A sparse circuit analysis program for the computation of poles and zeros," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. on Circuits and Syst., 185-189, 1978.
- Papathomas, T.V. and Wing, O., "Implicit deflation applied to polynomial root-finding schemes," Proc. Popov Society Congress, Moscow, 1977.
- Papathomas, T.V. and Wing, O., "Hessenberg reduction methods for sparse circuits and systems," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. on Circuits and Syst., 85-88, 1977.
- Papathomas, T.V. and Wing, O., "A scheme for the solution of the eigenvalue problem for large sparse matrices," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. on Circuits and Syst., 259-262, 1976.
Congratulations to Pernille Hemmer, Ryan Rhodes, & Bruce Tesar for receiving the 2022-23...2022-23 Distinguished Contributions to Undergraduate Education Awards reception took place on Wednesday, May 3rd from 2:30 PM-4:30 PM in Trayes Hall at the Douglass Student Center. We celebrated Pernille...
Spring 2023 Cognitive Science Evolution, Cognition and Culture class field tripThe Spring 2023 Cognitive Science Evolution, Cognition, and Culture class with Professor Robinson went on a field trip to The American Museum of Natural History along with Professor Scott's...
RuCCS Executive Council Member Elizabeth Torres and her Sensory Motor Integration Lab teams with...Elizabeth Torres is a Rutgers' Professor of Psychology as well as part of Rutgers Center of Cognitive Sciences. Her area of focus is Cognitive Psychology. Her lab studies how people move in...
RuCCS Executive Council Member Karin Stromswold selected as a recipient of the 2022-23...Congratulations to Dr. Karin Stromswold, RuCCS Executive Council Member and Professor of Psychology, has been selected as a recipient of the 2022-23 Chancellor-Provost Awards for Faculty Excellence! The...
RuCCS Affiliate and Department of Computer Science Distinguished Professor Dmitris Metaxas and his...Nightline seeks out the expertise of Dimitris Metaxas, professor of computer science and affiliate member of Rutgers Center for Cognitive Science, for its investigative report on Madison Square...
RuCCS NTT Faculty Ryan Rhodes won 2nd place in the CogSci Mind Challenge hosted at the Cognitive...Dr. Ryan Rhodes is an Assistant Teaching Professor of Center for Cognitive Science at Rutgers University. He won 2nd place in the Cognitive Science Society's CogSci Mind Challenge winning a sum of $500,...
A Rutgers researcher and RuCCS Executive Council Faculty, Jenny Wang, studies the benefits of...Jinjing Jenny Wang, is a assistant professor of cognitive psychology in the School of Arts and Sciences at Rutgers University. When Jinjing Jenny Wang embarked on a two-year study to determine...
Kristen Syrett, a professor in the Department of Linguistics and the Center for Cognitive Science...Kristen joined Rutgers in 2011, as a professor in the Department of Linguistics and the Center for Cognitive Science. An expert in the areas of language acquisition and psycholinguistics, Kristen is...
RuCCS Main Site News