Associate Editor, Cognition
Computational models and empirical studies of human visual perception and concept learning, including perceptual organization, grouping, and shape.
Selected recent papers:
- Feldman, J. (2016) What are the “true” statistics of the environment? Cognitive Science, 1–33.
- Feldman, J. (2016). The simplicity principle in perception and cognition. WIREs Cognitive Science, 7, 330--340.
- Froyen, V., Feldman, J. and Singh, M. (2015). Bayesian Hierarchical Grouping: perceptual grouping as mixture estimation. Psychological Review, 122(4), 575-597.
- Feldman, J. (2015) Bayesian models of perceptual organization. In Handbook of perceptual organization (J. Wagemans, ed.)., Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1008-1015.
- Wilder, J., Feldman, J. and Singh, M. (2015). The role of shape complexity in the detection of closed contours. Vision Research, 126, 220-231.
- Feldman, J. (2012) Symbolic representation of probabilistic worlds. Cognition, 123, 61–83.
Selected older papers:
- Pantelis, P. C., Baker, C., Cholewiak, S., Sanik, K., Weinstein, A., Wu, C.-C., Tenenbaum, J. B. and Feldman, J. (2014) Inferring the intentional states of autonomous virtual agents. Cognition, 130, 360–379.
- Mathy, F. and Feldman, J. (2012) What’s magic about magic numbers? Chunking and data compression in short-term memory. Cognition, 122, 346–362.
- Briscoe, E. and Feldman, J. (2011) Conceptual complexity and the bias/variance tradeoff. Cognition, 118, 2–16.
- Feldman, J. (2009) Bayes and the simplicity principle in perception. Psychological Review, 116(4), 875–887.
- Feldman, J. and Singh, M. (2006) Bayesian estimation of the shape skeleton. PNAS, 103(47), 18014–18019. New! Shape toolbox software
- Feldman, J. (2006) An algebra of human concept learning. Journal of Mathematical Psychology, 50, 339–368. Software
- Feldman, J. and Tremoulet, P. (2006) Individuation of visual objects over time. Cognition, 99, 131–165.
- Feldman, J. (2000) Minimization of Boolean complexity in human concept learning. Nature, 407, 630–633.